Ten Privacy Principles
The Canadian Canola Growers Association is committed to maintaining the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of your personal information. As part of this commitment, the following Ten Privacy Principles govern our actions as they relate to the use of customer information. The principles have been built upon the values set by the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information and Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
Principle 1: Accountability The Canadian Canola Growers Association is responsible for maintaining and protecting the personal information under its control and shall designate an individual who is accountable for the organization’s compliance with the following Privacy Principles.
Principle 2: Identifying Purposes The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified before or at the time the information is collected.
Principle 3: Consent Knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information except where required or permitted by Law.
Principle 4: Limiting Collection The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the Canadian Canola Growers Association. The information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
Principle 5: Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by Law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
Principle 6: Accuracy Personal information shall be accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
Principle 7: Safeguards Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Principle 8: Openness The Canadian Canola Growers Association shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Principle 9: Individual Access Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
Principle 10: Challenging Compliance An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual accountable for the organization’s compliance.
Questions or enquiries with respect to the privacy principles outlined above or our compliance with these principles should be directed to:
Canadian Canola Growers Association
400 - 1661 Portage Avenue
WINNIPEG MB R2M 2G2 Canada
Phone: (204) 789-0039
Fax: (204) 788-0061
If you do not receive acknowledgment of your inquiry or your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, you should then contact the Privacy Commissioner's Office at http://www.privcom.gc.ca (or 112 Kent Street, Place de Ville, Tower B, 3rd Floor, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H3), who will then serve as a liaison with the Canadian Canola Growers Association to resolve your concerns.
What information does the Canadian Canola Growers Association collect? How does the Canadian Canola Growers collect this information, and how is it used?
- We collect personal information such as names, mailing addresses, e-mail addresses, birth dates, and bank account numbers when submitted by you through our cash advance application process.
- Your e-mail address is used only as an alternate means to communicate with regarding your cash advance, or to send you information you've requested (such as electronic newsletters), to administer surveys, and/or to respond to communications from you. We do not use this information for other purposes.
- We also use "cookies," or small pieces of information that we store on users' computers (see definition below), to recognize returning visitors and monitor traffic through our site. Cookies identify you as a unique visitor to our site, enabling us to effectively aggregate site usage statistics to improve our Web site and make it more user-friendly.
What is a "cookie"?
- A cookie is a small file containing an ID number that is stored on users' computers. It is transferred to your hard drive by a Web server, and can only be read by that server. A cookie will not transmit information that you did not provide to us. Cookies are used, for example, to help identify unique visitors to a Web site and/or to help the user access their own data from a Web server data base.
Does the Canadian Canola Growers Association distribute individually identifiable information that it gathers to third parties?
- No, we do not sell, trade, or disclose to third parties any customer identifiable information.
How does the Canadian Canola Growers Association store my personally identifiable information?
- The Canadian Canola Growers Association stores information in secure databases. All databases are password protected. In addition, data fields containing sensitive personal information are encrypted for added security and protection.